Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Senior Appointments Are In Full Swing

Last Friday I chaperoned the Yearbook Dance.  This was the first dance of the year and gave me the opportunity to watch this year's seniors as they realized this was the 'first of the last' for their Senior year.  There were tears shed and I felt that this was a bit prophetic seeing that Senior family appointments were going to begin on Monday.

So, this week I began my second set of Senior Appointments at McGivney.  This is always a bittersweet time for the Seniors.  They are excited that they are in the final year of high school, yet they realize that this may be the last time they are all together.  This is not only emotional for the Senior students, but for those parents as well.  It is for this reason that I like to meet with each individual family.

Early in the summer I had sent out a spreadsheet template to help guide you in the college selection process.  Some of you have used that template and others have expanded upon it.  I encourage the remainder of you to open and use the template as it will keep your thoughts regarding each institution organized as you navigate through the college selection process.

In addition, I had emailed out a Scholarship Guide which has a number of private scholarship opportunities advertised.  The requirements and deadlines are included within this booklet and I encourage all of you to go through it page by page and cross off those scholarships which do not apply to you or highlight those that do.  There is a great deal of money to be had in private scholarships with a minimal investment in time and if you no longer have the email with this attached, you can click on McGivney College Scholarship Guide found under the Useful Links heading to your right.

How are those college essays coming along?  Do you realize that you can create one basic essay then 'tweak' it to fit all the universities to which you are applying as well as any of those private scholarships?  Work smarter, not harder.

I want you to remember that I too am on this journey with you.  I will be there all along the way to help guide you in your submissions, but the end decision has to be completely up to you.  This will be your home for the four years following graduation so you want to make sure that the college matches you academically, that it is within your family's budget, that it has your major field of study, and most of all that it feels right.


No comments:

Post a Comment