Thursday, November 3, 2016

Something Must Be Working

As I sat down to write this post, I happened to be in the National Honor Society after school peer tutoring.  I had just talked to a few of the students who come every Monday and every Thursday with no fail.  These students had performed exponentially better on their tests today than ever before and I couldn't help but get excited and revel in the fact that they had improved---something must be working.

The smiles on their faces when they told me said it all.  They were proud of themselves and at that moment believed that they could be successful, they will be.

It made me reflect on what we deem as success.  Is success measured by good grades?  Is it measured by the amount of money we make?  Is it achieving what we deem worthy? Or, could it be feeling good about ourselves and the difference we made today?  Whatever success means to you, for me it is seeing a group of teenagers being able to navigate their way through high school, being a friend to everyone they meet.

Today was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment