Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Helping My Students Help Themselves

There is a culture present at Father McGivney, one I have not seen at previous schools where I worked.  Upon first walking into the building, you can almost sense something is different, and then when you actually meet the students, talk with them, and watch their interactions you can see that the students genuinely care about one another.
For the freshman class and transfer students, there is a time where adjusting to the academic load as well as a new environment becomes overwhelming.  Sometimes it takes a few weeks for those new students to realize this is actually how our student body is, helping, welcoming, and caring.  I have been to other schools where students are ridiculed for their inadequacies which is painful to see, but not here.  
I enjoy coming to work every day and being with the students, I enjoy helping them learn skills to ask teachers for help, to work out conflict, and to find out who they are meant to be in this life.  I want all the students to know that it is not just me who wants to help them succeed, but also the teachers and administration.  I want them to seek out help whether it be for an upcoming test, a paper, or just some advice.  No one wants here wants anyone to fail and that positive environment radiates throughout everything we at Father McGivney do.
This is who we are, We Are Griffins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment